On Sunday 7 May 2023, the town celebrated the King’s Coronation in right royal style! The Coronation Celebrations in Blackpool were a fun, family day to remember. Above photo: Platinum Jubilee Tram Parade – photo by Gary Mitchell
Coronation Celebrations in Blackpool!
The resort marked the historic event with a day of family friendly fun! Including:
- a majestic heritage tram parade along the seafront,
- Big Lunch outdoor picnic with free entertainment on the Tower Festival Headland,
- a live screening of the Coronation concert from Windsor Castle,
- ending with a dazzling, specially-themed light show.
The event was staged by Blackpool Tourism Business Improvement District (TBID) in association with VisitBlackpool and Blackpool Transport. It took place on Sunday 7 May, the day after the King’s Coronation at Westminster Abbey.
Highlights of the Coronation Celebrations in Blackpool
Heritage Tram Parade
What a fabulous afternoon! The parade of 11 trams from the heritage fleet travelled in convoy from Blackpool Pleasure Beach to Little Bispham. The convoy set off at 2.15pm and paused at the Tower Festival Headland for a unique photo opportunity.
Next, they drew up at North Pier Heritage Tram Stop to pause a while before continuing the journey north to Bispham. The sun shone for a fantastic afternoon which saw the promenade packed with thousands of people, all enjoying the special event.
We were there to catch the parade – and the happy atmosphere!
Enjoyed this video? Why don’t you subscribe to our Visit Fylde Coast YouTube channel – make sure you don’t miss out!
Trams featuring in the parade include two 1930s Open Boat trams; two-single deckers; four double-deckers; and the three illuminated trams – the Western Train, trawler and HMS Blackpool frigate.
The Big Comedy Carpet Coronation Lunch
From 3pm onwards, people can bring a picnic, relax, and take advantage of an al fresco dining area opposite The Blackpool Tower for The Big Coronation Lunch, or take advantage of the on-site food huts serving a wide variety of hot and cold food.
Free live entertainment throughout the afternoon, hosted by Blackpool’s very own Hayley Kay, plus fun activities and competitions for children. Including a chance to decorate their own version of the Coronation crown and win some great prizes!
The programme included performances from:
- Nicki French: Best-known for her 1995 dance cover version of “Total Eclipse of the Heart”. It reached the US and UK top five. She also represented the United Kingdom in the 2000 Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm
- Leanne Jones: British actress best known for her role as Tracy Turnblad in the West End musical Hairspray. It’s seen her scoop a number of major awards. Including the 2008 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actress in a Musical.
- Rachael Wooding: Yorkshire-born musical theatre performer, best known for her performances in We Will Rock You. She also performed the title role in Evita The Musical on the UK tour.
- Rob King: Reached the semi-finals of Britain’s Got Talent in Series 13. In his audition, he performed a rousing rendition of “Rise Like A Phoenix”. The song was originally performed by Eurovision 2014 winner Conchita Wurst.
- Angels Elite: The locally-based song and dance team are Rio, James, Lewis, Dan, Madison and Missy. Between 15-18years old, they’re in popular demand performing at events across the UK
- Jersey Beats: Matt Andrew leads the vocal quartet in a tribute to Frankie Valli. Telling the story of the band and how they formed the group which took them to the dizzy heights of television appearances, fame and fortune.
Clowns, Magic and Music!
- Mooky and Boo: The stars of Blackpool Tower Circus step out of the ring onto Tower Festival Headland with their unique brand of circus antics. As Mooky, Laci Endresz Jr. has worked in most of the leading circuses in Europe. He also performed at the Royal Command Performance.
- Chloe Byrnes: Locally-based singer who has performed at many events and venues across Blackpool. She appeared at Blackpool’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations last year.
- Caine Ward: Probably best known for being the guitarist for platinum-selling singer-songwriter Nelly Furtado. But he’s a consummate vocalist in his own right having been the voice on numerous hit records around the world.
- Harry Moulding: North West-based magician who has performed at hundreds of events across the UK and worldwide. He’s performed at intimate magic shows to audiences of thousands.
- Johnny Wright: Blackpool-born Johnny Wright started performing at the age of 13. In 2007 he joined UK boyband Frixion and toured the country promoting their music. Also supporting acts like N-Dubz, Jessie J, Alexandra Burke, The Wanted, McFly and others. His new album, Tales From The 45, is out now.
- Ryan Cregan: A talented vocalist covering a range of music genres who’s performed in many venues in the North West. Influenced predominantly by soul and Motown music, he brings the sounds of the 60s and 70s to the stage.
The programme also featured the highly entertaining song and dance act, Iconic Legends.
Evening on the Comedy Carpet
From 8pm, the party continued with a free live screening of the Coronation Concert from Windsor Castle. The concert was streamed on to a screen on the Tower Festival Headland with specially-lit bespoke illuminations for the Coronation.
The finale to Blackpool’s day of celebration was an interactive light show on The Blackpool Tower.
Looking for somewhere to stay?
Book your stay with the Visit Fylde Coast and StayBlackpool accommodation guide. Know that you’ll have a great place to stay with a choice of Trusted accommodation.
All the properties listed on the Visit Fylde Coast websites by StayBlackpool are annually inspected. This means that you can book with confidence, safe in the knowledge of a great stay, somewhere that’s safe, clean and legal, at the very best price.
Bookings from these sites are also ultra-low or zero commission. This means that more of the money from your booking helps to support the local economy.
Search for Accommodation
Accommodation you can trust from StayBlackpool
Blackpool even has its own Coronation Street – take a look around!
A Very Special Day
Kate Shane is chair of the TBID Management Steering Group. She said: “Blackpool has a proud history of marking special events in glorious fashion. We’re thrilled to be able to announce details of our Coronation celebrations.
“Anyone who saw the Platinum Jubilee tram parade last year will know what an awesome spectacle it is. Come along and see these remarkable trams lined up along the seafront. By incorporating Blackpool’s unique fleet of heritage trams and our world-famous Illuminations, it promises to be a very special day.”
A VisitBlackpool spokesperson added: “This is a free event for families. And a wonderful opportunity to come together and celebrate what will be an historic weekend. It’s an extra Bank Holiday and we look forward to welcoming visitors to enjoy all that Blackpool has to offer.”
While you’re here…
Go to the homepage of the Live Blackpool website for the latest updates.
Love the Fylde Coast? Sign up for your email newsletter. Packed full of interesting things it arrives in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.
Booking a stay? Pick a safe, clean and legal place to stay, at the very best price. Book with the Visit Fylde Coast and StayBlackpool guide.