Blackpool Central Pier is the one with the Big Wheel and fairground rides. Have a look at the history of Blackpool Central Pier – always designed to be a place of fun! In its early days that meant dancing. The modern amusements and rides were added much later.
But what about it’s past?
What stories are hidden in the history of Central Pier? Read on and find out a little bit more…
How Blackpool Central Pier Began
It was the success of Blackpool North Pier which encouraged the formation of the Blackpool South Jetty Company. This was the year after North Pier was opened, and they were the ones who built Central Pier.
Here’s another familiar name to anyone who is interested in Blackpool history – Robert Bickerstaffe. He was the first manager of Central Pier – he was also coxswain of the first Blackpool lifeboat. Now, he’s remembered in the redevelopment of Bickerstaffe Square (the area around Sainsbury’s) at Talbot Road and the Council offices (Bickerstaffe House).
Central Pier was opened on 30 May in 1868
It’s now 1,112 feet long (or 339 metres), but was a longer structure -when it was originally opened. An extra 120 metres of landing jetty was used at low tide. Steamboat excursions once left from here, just as they did from North Pier (more about that below).
Central Pier was also close to the site of the long closed Blackpool Central Railway station. You’d have literally crossed the tramway and promenade, walked a little way along Chapel Street (the road heading to the Courts and former police station) and there was Central Station, on your left. Tens of thousands of holiday makers arrived there every year and spilled out of the trains for a day at the coast. Now, plans are unfolding to redevelop the Central Station site once again.
More Old Blackpool Photos and Central Pier
If you love old photos you’ll enjoy our ‘Old Blackpool’ Pinterest Board when we find any interesting historic photos around the internet we add them here.
The History of Blackpool Central Pier
Nick Moore is a local historian who’s collected together information about the whole of the history of Blackpool. His free to access online resource is called ‘Blackpool Chronology’. Nick’s very kindly provided the information below about the history of Central Pier.
On 30 May 1868, The South Pier Jetty Company opened what we know as Central Pier with the name ‘South Jetty’.
It was 1118 feet long when it was built, with an entrance hall, two shops, several kiosks, and a pier head lounge. Major Preston’s name was rapidly erased from the foundation stone of North Pier because of his support for the new pier, and there was no public opening ceremony.
The People’s Pier
The pier was unsuccessful at first, but in 1870 Robert Bickerstaff introduced steamer trips and open air dancing on the pier head. It soon became known affectionately as the “People’s Pier”.
A new tollhouse appeared at the entrance in 1878. On the pier itself were shops occupied by photographers, confectioners and fancy dealers as well as a floor for dancing, and refreshment rooms.
From 1878, the Central Pier Company’s steamers “Wellington” and “Nelson” ran to Southport, Llandudno, Lytham, Barrow, Peel and some other places.
By 1888, Central Pier was featuring Professor Taylor “eating, smoking, and writing underwater” and acts such as the “White Coons”. Pierrots were first seen on the pier in 1907. Starting with those of Adeler and Sutton, they were succeeded by Fred Allendale’s Premier Pierrots and then by Wylie-Tate’s Super Pierrots in 1922.
In 1891 the old wooden jetty was replaced with a 400-foot long iron pier extension for the steamer boats. You can see the extension in the next photo, taken in 1920.
A central dancing platform was also added, which became an open-air theatre from 1949. This steamer jetty was washed away much later, in 1964.
A Change of Name
In 1893, Blackpool’s third Pier, South Pier was opened. What was originally called ‘South Jetty’ was renamed Central Pier to avoid confusion. It’s had that name ever since, for more than 100 years.
In 1903, the eastern-style White Pavilion was added at the landward end, but that was demolished in 1966.
- The Electric Grotto Railway was built by Messrs. Meinhardt in 1904, but it was removed following objections from the Corporation in 1907: the building housing it was retained.
- In 1909, the pier unveiled its “Rollerator” ride, an innovative mix of skating and switchback. It still kept its own Roller Skating Rink however.
- The Joy Wheel was opened in 1911, with speed boats and racing car rides following in 1920.
- In 1913, a suspected Suffragette bomb was discovered on the pier, just before a visit by the King and Queen.
- Redman’s Café was opened on the pier on the 1st of December 1914, after the original premises had been converted into the Church of England Temporary Social Club for Soldiers on the 27th of November.
- In 1932, an “Automatic Chip Dispenser” was unveiled on Central Pier, together with a new photograph booth, and a guess-your-weight machine.
- In 1945, the pier mounted a display showing a V1 and a V2 rocket which had been dropped on London. It cost 6d to enter. The pier later displayed a replica German U-Boat conning tower.
An age of modern entertainment
In 1949 skating stopped on the pier, and an open-air theatre was created. The theatre at the beach end continued to have shows – with Morecambe and Wise topping the bill in “Let’s Have Fun”.
Peter Webster first appeared at the open-air theatre on Central Pier in 1951, playing to 1,000 people twice daily – mainly children. “Uncle” Peter Webster went on to star in over 5000 shows.
Circlorama Cinema: In 1965, the Circlorama Cavalcade 360 degree cinema appeared on Central Pier. It had been backed by cash from Harry Talbot de Vere Clifton, after the success of the London original, and was made by the firm of Harkness Ltd. When the London show closed, it was erected on the end of the pier ready for the summer season. It was a total failure, as it kept breaking down due to the salt air. At the end the season it was dismantled and removed/reassembled in Glasgow’s Kelvin Hall.
New Amusement Arcade and a New Theatre
The Central Pier Theatre was demolished in October 1966, and the building at the front of the pier rebuilt, to house the Golden Goose Amusement Arcade. A new theatre was built on the site of the old dance floor, opening in 1967.
In 1967, the Dixieland Palace replaced Central Pier pavilion, above the Golden Goose Arcade on 31st May. It had the “official biggest bar service” in Britain. The pier head’s open-air dance floors became the New Theatre, dancing was moved to the White Pavilion, and the Venetian Bar was opened in the centre, to cater for both public and the pier’s theatre artistes.
The Dixieland Showbar opened in 1968 along with the Golden Goose amusement arcade. The Dixieland had its own Golden Fry Restaurant – specialising in “chips in a basket”. Further out, before the theatre, was the Venetian Bar – frequented by performers during intervals. Fire destroyed the Dixieland on the 22nd of September 1973, but it was soon reopened.
The Golden Age of Central Pier
It was refurbished in June 1986, becoming Maggie May’s Showbar. Linda Nolan played nine consecutive summer seasons there, following this directly with two summer seasons on South Pier. Maggie May’s was later renamed “Peggy Sue’s Showboat” and then “Legends”.
- The jetty at the end of the pier was removed at the end of 1975, the low water jetty already having been demolished in 1968.
- On February 24 1979, a security guard was on the pier doing his rounds and reported seeing a UFO. “A ball of orange light rushed past with a roaring noise, leaving a lingering smell of ozone”. The Ministry of Defence was notified, deciding to take no action.
- Cinema 180 opened on Central Pier in 1979. By 1981 it had changed into Cinema USA, and by 1983 to Cinema 3D. It was housed on the centre of the pier in a giant geodesic dome.
- Oz nightclub was open on the pier in 1989. It changed to Sequins in November 1990, then Legends Showbar, Club 1-11, and finally, to Wicked.
The Big Wheel
The new Big Wheel was opened on Central Pier on 13 April 1990.
It’s 108 feet high, holding up to 216 people in 26 carriages. Burton’s Wagon Wheels were the original sponsors.
The pier also opened the Wheel House Bar and Disco, and the Super Waltzer.
Maintaining the Big Wheel on Central Pier
It’s a familiar landmark on Blackpool seafront. But over the sea and beach, the Big Wheel is very exposed to the weather. So it’s taken to pieces every few years, cleaned, inspected, maintained and replaced to turn again for another season.
It’s quite a strange site when it is dismantled. The circumference disappears bit by bit, until all that’s left is the frame of the legs that hold it up.
The local starlings love the Big Wheel though! It’s one of their perches for the thousands and thousands of them that fly in Blackpool’s famous starling murmurations each year.
While you’re here…
Have a look at the Live Blackpool website homepage for more of the latest updates.
Love the Fylde Coast? Sign up for your weekly email newsletter. Packed full of interesting things it arrives in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.
Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast